Friday, January 22, 2010

In Retrospect....

I came across a letter this morning that was written to me about seven and a half years ago. It was a personal letter, the only letter I have ever received from that particular friend. As I read it again, I was taken back to that time. I had just moved to Jamaica, gas was $24 per litre and much of whom I now am was still yet to be learned and discovered. How fitting that I should find it now, when my stay in this foreign nation is fast at its conclusion.

It was handwritten and beautiful and I couldn't stop reading it. I remembered the apartment I used to live in and the grumpy, "flatulent" landlord. I remembered the cute Indian girl next door and how the only time since then I'd seen her was at a play featuring Med Students (she should be a doctor by now!). I remembered that Micheal Jackson's "You Are My Life" was my theme song for months and how every time I hear that song I remember Trudi Wynter(ah she buss mi pon it).

I remembered how much I didn't want to be in Jamaica despite how eager I had been at the prospect of leaving home. I remembered my reason for always wanting to go home and considered how time has changed those motivations. I remembered taking the bus at 6:30 in the morning to avoid the rush hour packed buses that were all too reminiscent of slave ships and the middle passage.

I remembered how we never really went anywhere for sheer crippling fear. I remembered how afraid I was to join the choir at church and how excited I was when I did.

And the memories continued to come, all the way up to and through University. Every other time I've had to, it's been an absolute joy to abandon Jamaica for the familiar sounds, sight and feelings of home. This time, although this is not the last time I will leave Jamaica, there's a certain finality that I cannot help but feel.

I think I've finally reckoned, and rightly so, that Jamaica has made me. It's been a huge influence and will continue to be in the future. As reluctant as I am to admit it, I'm happy I was here. This place is like a fungus, it grows on you!!!

11 comments:

shelly b. said...

I hate that somehow.. u know jus what to say and how to say it.. but i love you say what u say and how u say it....

You are like fungus... you grew on me!!

HalfCrazy said...

i grew on u a long time ago....LOL. Thanx though!!!

Dr. Patrice Smith said...

That's the beauty about life. We live, and grow and all the experiences we have (no matter how bitter it seemed at the time) come to make us who we are.
It's a wonderful thing.

Mom said...

Beautiful and poignant as usual. Wil be good to have you home, though

Lloyd W. said...

Ahh yute... Good stuff... I guess as bad as it can be, it can still grow on us, huh?

Sage-silx said...

Dupuis I am glad I met you! I remember those days where you used to support me on the court. You've always had a decency about you that was at a very high standard, I admired that. Reading that just now shows what type of person you are, in terms of perspective.

There are so many deterrants in this life that lead us to believe we are not on the right pathway. But when we've successfully been through it all, we learn what great attributes they have instilled in us. This post will arouse anyone who enjoys reading. It leaves a feeling that makes you yearn for more, it's like you wanna reach out and touch the next sentence. Excellent read.

Dr. Patrice Smith said...

Orville, I have something for you - over by my blog. It's February and I'm sending some love your way :) this will also put out out there as a blogger (remember our little convo?)

HalfCrazy said...

thanxx....and yup I do remember...

Anonymous said...

Hey Orville... U just have an extremely decent way of allowing your words to flow. U got me reflecting right now on my journey there. I am yet to put it all in words...HopefullY I can soon. ....BUT, I can't wait to read your book when u do write it. I have the feeling that it will be captivating and inspiring. Continue to do it BIG!

Lizra said...

By the way... that's me Liz

HalfCrazy said...

Like we say back home Liz, Respect!!!....lol