Friday, March 27, 2009

The Anti-Herbie...

We have all borne witness to Herbie's swift sweep across our campus, whether as victims or "conscientious" observers. Almost just as swiftly and with about as much efficiency and effectiveness, the Anti-Herbie, a bug doing the exact opposite had grabbed hold on the campus and may have only just recently let go. While Herbie's doing pulled couples together as the breezes stiffened and the cold came down, the Anti-Herbie has demagnetized these individuals allowing them once again to return to their original states. A flood of facebook status changes prompted innumerable comments keeping us busy for days on end; seemed like each day another couple fell prey to the bug.


It took me some time to decide to write this, mostly because I myself fell prey to both Herbie and his counterpart. And it should come as no surprise; I've always been a sickly person and I catch the flu almost every time it goes around. The other reason is although I saw the second bug coming from a ways off, it brought to the surface a certain bitterness and cynicism in me that I had to get rid off before i could objectively scrutinize and analyze these occurrences, thus I have reserved my sole bitter statement for my T.O.T.D...lol.

The Anti-Herbie, didn't do much to quell my earlier allegations that the issue had been mostly thermal. In fact, it all but affirmed my rationale. Maybe it was still winter by the calender, but it had begin to warm up here and as soon as it did the bug reared its head. It sorta seems that both bugs survive best in temperatures that are just a little warmer than winter weather, but not quite summer weather, making the fall and spring ideal for their attacks.

I find it a noteworthy fact that the Anti-Herbie first found the strength to attack the couples who were the more solid and secure in their relationships. But that could have been a ploy by the bug to erode the confidence of the fresher pairings. If it was it seemed to work like a charm.
Also keep in mind that while the reasons may not be quite as important as the fact of what actually happened, there's no denying the similarities; almost makes the conspiracy theorist in me shout, "Hanging Chad"!...LOL*.

These events happened and like Charlie Wilson said,"They were beautiful and they changed the world," well at least the campus! I had fun living it, I had fun watching it unfold and most fun of all thinking and writing about it and laughing my butt off. Life is full of ironies and they serve to preserve our sense of humor; that's one of the lessons I've learned. Hope you learned something too, whether watching, living or reading!...LOL

*Refer to George W. and the 2000 Florida election

Today's T.O.T.D: All bubbles are beautiful, naturally occurring wonders....and then they burst!

No comments: