Monday, April 16, 2012

Enjoy...

This photo is named "Kellie Pickler" and I'm almost certain that most of my friends would not understand why, well, not before a quick Google search. I found this photo while riffling through my One-A-Day album on Facebook and naming each photo, something I'd previously neglected to do. I found that the thoughts that flooded my mind each time I switched to a new one, if verbalized, may have sounded bizarre but somewhere in a crevice in my mind, they made all the sense in the world. It's all a matter of appreciation, I think.

Kellie Pickler's 'Red High Heels' is still one of my favorite contemporary country songs. Yes, that's right. I said contemporary, meaning I like Classic country too. In fact, my appreciation for music of all genres, goes much deeper and was established well before I took Music Appreciation at Northern Caribbean University. Earlier this morning, my work day started with Mobb Deep's 'Shook Ones' and Rahkim, Nas and KRS-One's 'Classic'. A few days earlier it had been a trip through the 90's R&B junk yard and before that the boulevard of broken punk band's dreams with Sum 41, Limp Bizkit and Blink 182. I understand why each of those types of music appeal to the people who love them and I know why they appeal to me, each in their own unique way.

I watched the pilot episode of the new HBO show "Girls" this afternoon and my cousin could not fathom why I would watch such a dreadful show. I will not assume what he saw while half-watching the show, but what I heard was wispy, sometimes witty dialogue and what I saw was an almost entrancing lead actress in over her head and intriguing artistic direction and wardrobe, complimented by engaging cinematography. What the show lacked in dialogue and "action", it makes up for with odd-ball characters and great storytelling, with quick cuts, brilliantly composed shots and an unpretentious film grade. While I will probably never watch this show again, because the story failed to capture my attention, I was able to appreciate the positives in this project and I understand why that show is on TV.

When the writing stops, I try to fit into boxes that are perhaps more acceptable since all that I have to say stays bottled up. There's no making the words come or the urge to write. Sometimes it just does and at other times its no where to be found. My pen (or keyboard) allows me to only be myself, stripped of all pretense. Well, maybe not ALL; I retain my innate sense of pretentiousness well past the third paragraph of any essay. Maybe it all makes me strange. But it all makes ME.

So, I'm back to writing what I want to write. I'm gonna shoot what I want to shoot. I already watch what I want to watch. And most importantly I'm gonna enjoy every hop, skip and leap along the way.

Enjoy me. I know I will.


1 comment:

Ma Mom said...

Interesting!Especially the part about music genres. I tend to be somewhat limited myself with respect to range of genres and I certainly pick my morning music to something meditative/inspirational. Good that you have started writing again, however.